Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Descriptive Reflection: Formal Introductory Letter

Dear Professor Brad,

I am Stephanie, and I want to introduce myself via this letter. I am a civil engineering student at the Singapore Institute of Technology.

My interest in civil engineering grew after receiving a diploma in civil engineering with business from Singapore Polytechnic. As technology evolved, I grew more interested in the digital revolution of the construction business. I had previously considered pursuing my studies in finance after gaining experience in the financial industry as a temporary employee before starting university. However, my curiosity about the construction industry's digital transformation persisted, influencing my decision to pursue a civil engineering degree. I am an excellent listener, which is one of my communication strengths. Instead of immediately drawing conclusions and challenging the speaker, I approach a conversation with an open mind by hearing and comprehending the other person's perspective. One area for improvement would be that I sometimes struggled to organize my ideas when I wanted to make a point, which led to me not always having a clear and succinct response. I want to complete two significant objectives before the conclusion of this module. First and foremost, I aim to improve my public speaking abilities after receiving feedback that I talk too quickly when I am frightened. Second, I aim to enhance my technical writing abilities and perfect my grammar, since I still need to work on articulating my views grammatically and in an organized manner, particularly in report writing and reflections. I'm excited to learn more about effective communication and critical thinking from you and challenge myself in the upcoming lessons.


Yours sincerely,

Stephanie


[Edited on 6 February 2023]

Blogs commented on:

- Chiu Pin
- Anthony
- Kiran

10 comments:

  1. Dear Stephanie, I am impressed with your decision taking into this course relevant to 'digital revolution' in construction business. The key word here making civil engineering sounds fantastic and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wan Chung, thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Hello Stephanie! Your content is organised, and you managed to cover all the points needed in the report! In the third paragraph, you stated that you "struggled" to organise your ideas. I think that the word struggled should be in present tense, as you stated that it is a future area of improvement. Besides that, you have a good use of language, which made your letter easy to digest. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kiran for your input. Will take note and make the necessary changes!

      Delete
  3. Hi Stephanie, thank you for sharing more about yourself ! Your content is well organized and clear. I look forward to getting to know you more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen Jee, thank you for yours comment! I am looking forward to getting to know you more too!

      Delete
  4. Dear Stephanie,

    Thank you for this informative, well-organized and fluent letter. It's very interesting for us readers when you share your background in terms of the personal motivation for studying engineering (rather than finance) and your impression of your own comm skills. It's especially impressive that you aproach each "conversation with an open mind by hearing and comprehending the other person's perspective."

    It's also clear from this post that speaking in public / presenting are areas that we can work on to your advantage during the module. I hope you take all the opprtunities given to do exactly that.

    I'm impressed by the person described in this letter. Please feel free in class to share your ideas more often and to adopt a more vocal role in our general discussions.

    I look forward to working with you further this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Professor Brad. I am looking forward to your upcoming classes!

      Delete
  5. Hello Stephanie, your letter is well structured and concise, which enables me to learn more about you. We have a similar weakness of struggling to organize ideas when making a point. I believe this module can help us improve on that! Thank you for sharing more about yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you commentary Leyi! I hope we are able to work on our weaknesses together!

      Delete

Summary Reader Response Draft #4

According to the Housing Development Board (2022), the SolarNova programme, spearheaded by the Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB) an...